WHO urges countries to adopt smoking bans

Share your news storys
BASEL
Site Administrator

WHO urges countries to adopt smoking bans

Post by BASEL » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:58 am

Why i wonder other than health reasons of course do they all of a sudden push for a world wide smoking ban, theres got to be something in it for someone?!!

LONDON (Reuters) - Smoking bans are an effective way of preventing heart disease, getting cigarette users to quit and protecting children from second-hand smoke, a World Health Organisation (WHO) report issued on Monday said.
(Advertisement)

The report by scientists at the WHO's International Agency for Cancer Research urged more countries to adopt smoking bans in public and at the workplace, saying there was enough evidence to prove they work, without hurting businesses such as restaurants and bars.

"Implementation of such policies can have a broader population effect of increasing smoke-free environments," the researchers wrote in the Lancet Oncology special report.

"Not only do these policies achieve their aim of protecting the health of non-smokers by decreasing exposure to second-hand smoke, they also have many effects on smoking behaviour, which compound the health benefits."

Many local and national governments, mainly in Western nations, have enacted varying types of smoking bans in recent years to protect people from second-hand smoke.

A separate report issued by Cancer Research UK on Monday found England's ban adopted a year ago has spurred more smokers than ever to kick the habit, and predicted the restrictions would prevent 40,000 deaths over the next 10 years.

The researchers involved in the WHO report -- who included John Pierce of the University of California, San Diego, and Maria Leon at the International Agency for Cancer Research --- reviewed more than 900 studies and government reports looking at the impact of smoking bans across the world.

They cited studies that suggest smoke-free workplaces have lead to a 10 to 20 percent decrease in hospital admissions for heart disease a year after a smoking ban.

The WHO says smoking kills about four million people each year, causing a quarter of deaths related to heart disease.
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:18 pm

HERE'S ONE FOR YA! SOME THINK TANK ACROSS THE WATER HAVE PUT IT TO MP'S THAT ANY FILM THAT IS MADE WITH PEOPLE SMOKING IN IT SHOULD HAVE AN 18 CERTIFICATE EVEN IF IT IS A KIDS MOVIE. IF IT HAS SMOKING THEN IT IS MADE 18. ALSO THAT GOES FOR ANY OTHER MOVIE THAT HAS BEEN MADE THAT HAS SMOKING IN IT TO BE RE CLASSED AS AN 18 CERTIFICATE. CASABLANCA AS AN 18 HUH WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE. IF THEY HAVE SUCH A SAY THEN THEY SHOULD BE MADE TO ANSWER THE PUBLIC WHO I'M SURE WOULD HAVE A SAY ON SUMTHING LIKE THIS! I CAN THINK OF 101 DALMATIANS OFF HAND WHICH WOULD BE RECLASSED AS AN 18 IF THESE CRAZY FECKERS HAVE THEIR WAY BECAUSE WATCHED IT THE OTHER NIGHT WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD SON. GLEN CLOSE WHO PLAYED CRULIA DEVILLE (NOT RIGHT BUT YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN) SMOKED ONE OF THEM FANCY FAGS WITH THE HOLDER (JUST TO LET YOU KNOW HOW EVIL SEE WAS MWAH MWAH evil laugh that) SO IF THIS WAS TO PASS IN THE FUTURE I WUD BE BREAKING THE LAW BY LETTING MY 4 YEAR OLD SON WATCHING THIS FILM WHICH I BELIEVE AT THE MOMENT IS A 'U' CERTIFICATE. CRAZY,INSANE AND JUST PLAIN WRONG. WHO ARE THESE JOBSWORTHS. DAY ON THE BUILDING SITE FOR THE LOT OF THE SADSACK FECKERS ME THINKS!
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:20 pm

OH AYE AND WHAT ABOUT THE 'GREY-AREAS' IF THIS LAW PASSED???? THINK OF PETER'S DRAGON (YOU'VE SAW IT DON'T LIE) WELL THE DRAGON DID'NT SMOKE A FAG BUT HE HAD SMOKE COMING OUT OF HIS NOSE. NOW THAT'S A GREY AREA!!! bang1 :w :hot :Smiley_explode:

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Yea And what about space rockets
"Humanity is asleep, concerned only with what is useless, living in a wrong world....Do not prattle before the People of the Path, rather consume yourself. You have an inverted knowledge and religion if you are upside down in relation to Reality. Man is wrapping his net around himself. A lion (the man of the Way) bursts his cage asunder."

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Wee bit of a smart lad aren't you Gandolf. that why you wear a mask huh? hmmmmmmmmmmmm indeed space rockets. away and have a wee lie-down. i thought that brought nothing to the table at all. you must be a non-smoker! :smiley_tosserJPG: :smiley_tosserJPG: :smiley_tosserJPG: :icescream:

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am

:ras :smiley_bigthumbup: :Smiley_explode:
"Humanity is asleep, concerned only with what is useless, living in a wrong world....Do not prattle before the People of the Path, rather consume yourself. You have an inverted knowledge and religion if you are upside down in relation to Reality. Man is wrapping his net around himself. A lion (the man of the Way) bursts his cage asunder."