Labour closes ranks over Baby P's death

Share your news storys
BASEL
Site Administrator

Labour closes ranks over Baby P's death

Post by BASEL » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Members of Haringey council's Labour group maintained a wall of silence after attending an emergency meeting to discuss fresh developments in the tragic case of Baby P.

The councillors present at the meeting did not want to talk about what had been discussed and left the building by a rear exit down an overgrown back alley.

Local councillor Ali Demirci refused to confirm he had even attended the meeting, he said: "I can't talk about this, I can't discuss what was said, you will have to speak to Labour Party head office."

However, the wall of silence was angering local residents who believed councillors were "covering up" the events that led to Baby P's death to "save their own necks".

One local resident, Stephanie Biber, was so enraged she marched to the Hornsey and Wood Green Labour Party head offices and stuck a poster to the front window that read: "Sharon Shoesmith you have blood on your hands. Council tax payers of Haringey refuse to pay council tax until Sharon Shoesmith is sacked."

Sharon Shoesmith is head of children's services at the council.

Mrs Biber said: "Sharon Shoesmith should resign, this is the final straw and I'm just so angry about it all.

"I've written to my bank asking them not to pay council tax to Haringey Council until she has been sacked."

The blond, blue-eyed Baby P died in a blood-spattered cot on August 3, having suffered more than 50 injuries despite 60 visits from the authorities over eight months.

An urgent inquiry is currently under way into child welfare services in the north London borough.

Ministers and inspectors have faced further questions over whether they could have prevented the 17-month-old losing his life.

His mother's 32-year-old boyfriend and another man, Jason Owen, 36, were convicted at the Old Bailey last week of causing or allowing his death.

The child's 27-year-old mother had already pleaded guilty to the same charge, which carries a maximum 14-year jail term.

All three have been warned they will receive lengthy jail terms when they are sentenced next month
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk