Germany backs down over Cruise

Spiff away, anything goes, within reason
BASEL
Site Administrator

Germany backs down over Cruise

Post by BASEL » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Producers have been given the green light to film a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler at a memorial site in Berlin.

German authorities had initially blocked plans and objected to the casting of Tom Cruise in a starring role.

Defence Minister Franz Josef Jung had said the filmmakers could not shoot at any German military sites so long as Cruise played the lead role, citing Cruise's affiliation with the Church of Scientology.

It took the filmmakers months of persuasion to convince the German government that allowing the Hollywood actor to film at the site would not amount to its desecration but would honour the memory of the men who almost killed Hitler on July 20, 1944.

The film is called "Valkyrie", the plot's code name, and features Cruise as Claus von Stauffenberg, the conspirators' ringleader who placed a briefcase bomb next to the Nazi dictator at his Wolf's Lair hideaway in eastern Prussia.

Hitler miraculously survived the blast and suffered only minor injuries. Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators were arrested and executed hours later in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock, now part of a Defence Ministry complex.

Germany does not recognise Scientology as a religion and sees it as a cult that masquerades as a church to make money. Scientologists reject this allegation.

The film, directed by Bryan Singer and co-starring British actor Kenneth Branagh, is slated for a 2008 release.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070923/t ... 16c_1.html

Horrible little man face1

Baesl simlie 56
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk