Spiff away, anything goes, within reason
asma

Irish civil rights group takes aim at iPad launch

Post by asma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 am

Irish civil rights group takes aim at iPad launch

Gaelic speakers want to give Apple a good boxing
By Seosamh Fahey
April 2010 07:02 GMT

Apple's iPad launch could be thrown off course by a last minute objection to the device's name by a small Irish American civil rights group.
Boston-based Féach ar na Féilire claims it registered the name 11 years ago for a now-defunct online advice service for Irish Gaelic speaking immigrants in the US.

Pádraig O'Súil, national convener of the group, told The Register, via a translator, that the organisation had written to Apple numerous times, but had yet to receive a reply.
Its lawyers were now preparing a filing to freeze the launch of the ground breaking device in an effort to bring Apple to the negotiating table.
"This is just another example of Apple's arrogance towards the American Irish speaking community, in both America and Ireland," O'Súil said. The Mac maker had consistently failed to provide Irish language capabilities in its operating system, he claimed, and had never localised its products for Irish and other Gaelic-speaking markets.
"Yet at the same time they're happy to raid the Irish lexicon for their product names when it suits them. Look at the Mac - that means son in Irish, you know" he said. "It's just one slap in the face after another." When pressed for other examples he said he'd get back to us.
O'Súil added that the organisation had raised its latest concerns with Apple as soon as it heard about the upcoming launch, but the computing giant had consistently ignored its complaints.
He admitted that Apple's lack of a response could've been down to the group's insistence on writing to Cupertino in Irish. However, a change in the organisation's constitution had been necessary before it could engage a firm of bilingual trademark attorneys, Mahone, Butt and Mahone, which was able to take instruction in Irish and issue writs in English.
An Apple spokesperson said, "Saoire le do thoil teachtaireacht tar éis an ton." ®

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 pm

There is serveral ways you could look at that story

1. Apple are to fucking big and need to be brought down a peg, all big corporations need to be

2. crazy story, just because it is in the south

3. Move along, nothing to see here

So which is it????
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

asma

Post by asma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Maybe you could provide an English translation of what the Apple spokesman had to say, but I tink old boy April first may have something to do with the iPad.

asma.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 pm

ok then can you provide a link as to where you found the story, "EDIT" ok funny :woo :smiley_google:

Translation: "Saoire le do thoil teachtaireacht tar éis an ton" means "Please leave a message after the tone"

:mrgreen: :lol :m2 :smiley_bigthumbup: http://translate.google.com/#ga|en|Saoi ... 20an%20ton

I forgot the date lol

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

asma

Post by asma » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:26 pm

I tink twas The Register.

Biting the hand that feeds it.

asma.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 am

asma wrote:I tink twas The Register.

Biting the hand that feeds it.

asma.

Sorry about the start but i saw the funny side in the end, is that not all that matter's