a history of newtowards by wiki

Let's get together and piece together all of ards historical past, perhaps the historical society may get involed, so if you know any, get them on the forum incase it all gets lost in memory

Moderator: mstewart27

BASEL
Site Administrator

a history of newtowards by wiki

Post by BASEL » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 am

n 545 AD, St. Finian founded a monastery near to present-day Newtownards. He named it Movilla (Magh Bile, "the plain of the sacred tree," in Irish) which suggests that the land had previously been a sacred pagan site. This monastery was destroyed by the Vikings sometime after 824 AD and in the 12th century joined together with Bangor Abbey as an Augustinian Monastery. Later, the monastery was raided by Hugh O'Neill from Mid-Ulster, after which the urban settlement at Movilla disappeared and the area around it became known as Ballylisnevin, "the town land of the fort of the family of Nevin." The Normans, who arrived in Ireland after 1169, founded a town in the same place around 1226, named it Nove Ville de Blathewyc ("New Town of Blathewyc", the name of an earlier Irish territory) and established a Dominican priory. However, the town declined and by the 1400s the land was controlled by the O'Neill clan, and the town lay virtually abandoned.

In 1605, Hugh Montgomery was granted the lands and set about rebuilding what was by then known as Newtown, later expanded to Newtownards. Official records show the town was established in 1606. He built a residence in the ruins of the old priory, the tower of which remains. Scottish settlers arrived in large numbers during the Plantation of Ulster and the town grew quickly. Due to the shallow mud of Strangford Lough, Newtown never developed as a port, with goods instead transported from the nearby town of Donaghadee on the Irish Sea coast of the Ards Peninsula. Instead, it became a market town, with the Market House in Conway Square constructed in 1770. The market still operates today on a weekly basis.

On the morning of Pike Sunday, 10 June 1798, during the Irish Rebellion of 1798, a force of United Irishmen, mainly from Bangor, Donaghadee, Greyabbey and Ballywalter, attempted to occupy the town of Newtownards. They met with musket fire from the market house and were defeated. The early 1800s saw the reclamation of the marshlands south of the town. Newtownards acquired rail links to Belfast via Comber and Dundonald in 1850, and to Donaghadee in 1861. By the same year the town's population had risen to 9,500. As the economy became increasingly tied to Belfast, the town continued to prosper and by the 20th century had increasingly became a commuter town. Newtownards' population reached 13,100 in 1961 and doubled to 27,800 by the end of the century.

During the troubles, Newtownards was the scene of a car bomb attack on July 5, 1993, when Roma's Bar in Regent Street was targeted. The pub was completely destroyed, but has since been rebuilt. The attack, carried out by the Provisional Irish Republican Army was, at 700 kg (1,500 lb) the largest car bomb ever used in Northern Ireland. There were no fatalities.

more here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtownards

so has wiki got it true?

basel
simlie 56
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:37 am

true about Ards folk kicking Bangor folk up the arse...so history repeats itself every week face1 face1 face1 face1 face1 face1 :sn :m2 although did'nt know it was the biggest bomb in the history of the troubles. how they find that out? anyone any ideas?
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

my spuds are boiling

Post by my spuds are boiling » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:35 pm

doh because the ira told them so, how do you think they found out

oj yes
when the going gets hot i shout aloud

"oh oh my spuds are boiling"

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:10 pm

well that was awful nice of them huh. :jf

my spuds are boiling

Post by my spuds are boiling » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:05 am

No mate the ira are reallly, bad people, not let people hear you say that they will think, you know, you like them or something :thumb

oj yes
when the going gets hot i shout aloud

"oh oh my spuds are boiling"

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:08 pm

:lol

Basel
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:17 pm

thanks for the heads up bang1 :m