Common Purpose

What the media are not saying
BASEL
Site Administrator

Common Purpose

Post by BASEL » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:29 pm

[align=center][GVideo]http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 4&hl=en-GB[/GVideo][/align]

My word, interesting indeedy me thinks

Basel
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:04 pm

interesting indeed. Just look at all the missing disks lost in 'THE POST' (aye right) and giving Poles and the like £20000 to go home yet people born in the UK can hardly get anything of the DHSS if they find themselves out of work or single mothers who have to look after their kids! And i know I'm not the only one who knows the games not straight. Have to keep on top of these people (along with so many others). Is it greed? lust of power? I find it hard to understand why some people want to rule and decide how others live. Yes we (humans) need laws but it's got to the point now where the jokers who are quite clearly irreponsible are unaccountable.
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

BASEL
Site Administrator

Licenced to smoke: A common Purpose initiative

Post by BASEL » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:03 am

You have probably seen it in the papers, e.g.

Quote:
Obligatory £200 addict permit

By Lester Haines (The Register)

A government advisor has suggested that the problem of Brits continuing to smoke themselves to death might be tackled by requiring nicotine addicts to obtain a £200 annual licence, the Telegraph reports.

Professor Julian le Grand, a “former advisor to Tony Blair� who is a lecturer in social policy at the London School of Economics and “advises ministers through his chairmanship of Health England�, made his proposal this week as a Department of Health report said that while “smoking prevalence is falling among both males and females�, far too many of us are popping our clogs as a result of coronary disease and other smoking-related ailments.

Accordingly, and since simply raising the price of gaspers has not in the past convinced hardened smokers to quit, le Grand declared that “requiring them to fill in forms, and have photographs taken in order to apply for a permit would prove a more effective deterrent�.

The master plan is to issue an initial yearly fag permit, and once up and running, the scheme could be “extended so smokers had to get a doctor’s signature that their health was not at ‘massive risk’ by smoking in order to get a licence�.

The good prof did, however, concede there could be a few obstacles to success. First up, he admitted “there could be a problem with an emerging black market where those with permits sold them to those without, and that it could create the impression that as long as one is licensed smoking is not harmful�.

Regarding the obligation of doctors to collaborate with the Nanny State™, le Grand noted this “could prove problematic because of the liability risk if the smoker was signed off and then developed cancer or heart disease as a result of the habit�.

He added: “A doctor’s signature adds to the difficulty of getting a permit and makes people think about the health issues but if requiring a doctor’s signature made it virtually impossible to get a permit, that would get in the way.

“We’d need to find some sort of cut off point below which doctor’s would sign them off and above which they would not.�

The Telegraph notes that le Grand’s grand plan has already been “lambasted�, although the paper makes no comment on his other proposals: banning food manufacturers from adding salt to products; an exercise hour for all employees during the working day; and free fruit in offices - a three-pronged attack designed to combat a nation of fat, fruit-dodging couch potatoes.

In le Grand’s defence, we should add that he told the Telegraph: “There is nothing evil about smoking as long as you are just hurting yourself. We have to try to help people stop smoking without encroaching on people’s liberties.�

However the licence fee is now said to be £10 rather than £200 (oct/07). But who is Julian Le Grand?

Well consider this:
Quote:
In 1998 at the direction of the Government, an 'on-line think tank' called Nexus initiated (within 'on-side' academic circles) a series of debates on the Third way, involving Anthony Giddens; David Marquand, Principal of Mansfield College, Oxford (also Demos); Julian Le Grand, Professor of Social Policy at the LSE; and the Directors of the Institute for Public Policy Research and the Fabian Society. The whole sad little gang: but no academic backing was given to the practical meaning or legitimacy of the Third Way.

http://thejournal.parker-joseph.co.uk/b ... 28667.html
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk