Local Chippy

Have your say on topic's that might be affecting you and the Town

Moderators: Lynn_D, mstewart27

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:50 am

Have sent an email to Thorntons Rossco about your queery at www.thorntons.co.uk they replied that

they have recieved the message and will reply shotly. :1w

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 am

Response from Thorntons

Dear ????????

Thank you for your e-mail although I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the price of our Ice Cream.

We do try to provide the best possible products and value for money for our customers at all times. Our prices do however take into account the cost of the ingredients, manufacturing, packing and distribution to our shops.

There has been market price inflation of some of our key raw materials, particularly dairy products and cocoa. This has been widely reported in the media, and is affecting all food manufacturers. Many of our suppliers have also been hit by these rises and have passed on increased costs to Thorntons which made it necessary to review our pricing structure and margin as we can no longer absorb these increases.

I have passed your comments onto my Marketing Colleagues.

Again, thank you for contacting us and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Yours sincerely

Vivienne Staimar

Customer Services

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 pm

Rossco wrote:sorry that was bit cheeky but couldn't resist ho ho. is it £5.00 for one fish supper right nuff? that a fact? cause i'll find out how much fish suppers are from other chippy in the town. have fat, lazy friends who love there chippy grub you see.

Yep £5.00 for 1 fish supper and Bite Me
Last edited by BASEL on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Homer wrote:Response from Thorntons

Dear ????????

Thank you for your e-mail although I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the price of our Ice Cream.

We do try to provide the best possible products and value for money for our customers at all times. Our prices do however take into account the cost of the ingredients, manufacturing, packing and distribution to our shops.

There has been market price inflation of some of our key raw materials, particularly dairy products and cocoa. This has been widely reported in the media, and is affecting all food manufacturers. Many of our suppliers have also been hit by these rises and have passed on increased costs to Thorntons which made it necessary to review our pricing structure and margin as we can no longer absorb these increases.

Again, thank you for contacting us and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Yours sincerely

Vivienne Staimar

Customer Services

What did you actually send them (email wise)?

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm

This is e-mail id sent Basel

Subject: Store related queries
How come your store in Newtownards shopping center was selling ice cream,for one scoop 2 weeks ago was £1.20 and now its £2.00 for one scoop what has this to do with the price of oil increase ? Are all your stores charging the same or is it just this one. Or the ice cream is an separate vendor from Thortons could you reply back please so we can end an dispute in the local forum.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm

Can i state at this stage that i have always found the food at katie's plaice to be of top quality and fresh, the debate as it seems to be is with the present price increases and immediate reduction in portion sizes.

I spoke to a friend who buys, peels and chips potatoes for the catering industry and he informed me that yes potatoes had increased my roughly £3.00 per 56Kgs but had since returned back to normal (£3.00 less)

As this is a community forum for Newtownards we are concerned that value for money in this case is out the window. :smiley_swoon:

Basel

bert the flirt

more ice-cream rossco

Post by bert the flirt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi Rossco wee man sends you this song.x

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZD-v2cCb-Q&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZD-v2cCb-Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:cl1 :cl1 :cl1 :smiley_dancingbanana:
Last edited by bert the flirt on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:21 pm

well this really has taken a life of it's own (we really need to get out more ho ho) but at the same time tired of getting ripped off and ment to smile about it. so as far as these to places we are talking about here are local and i HAVE used might as well be honest here. i would not pay £5.00 for 1 fish supper. that is a rip-off plain and simple and if the owners of the said chippy think i am out of line for saying so on the subject they can take it up with me when they see me again. that's me in the pic and name so easy to know who i am. don't hide behind false name etc etc etc. (not as dig at anyone on the site, just telling it like it is) as for the said chippy i would disagree with Basil as i got a chip out of it the other night and chips were not fully cooked. now that's a fact. my grip on here was never about the said chippy. but at a fiver for fish supper which people here have said is now smaller potions yet higher price is not on. whatever way you cut it. and i know for a fact that spuds did go up last month but said spuds are back down again. Basil was right with the £3.00 mark. as for Thortons like i said i'll just take the wee man to Burger King for his ice-cream. you get more for half the price. i for one will now shop with my feet. it's just plain lazy to pay over the odds when you could go sumwhere else for same products which or either

#~cheaper or better.

now this is not a dig at anyone on a personal level just me as the consumer has the right to buy what and where i choose. maybe if people stopped being so lazy and went that extra wee walk or drive (and if you drive then that really is lazy) to get what you want. and then maybe the shops etc that are over charging well get the message. simple as that.
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 pm

and thats my two cents...i'm away to do my football now. and after i do my wee review i'm goint to eat a tub of mint choc chip ho ho ho :1w

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm

:y :lol :y :wp :dd :bb :icecream:

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:01 am

Chip Shop's Comparison Ard's

Lynn's

Chip's £1.80

Sausage £1.60

Fish £3.30 Cod

£3.45 Haddock

Sausage Supper £3.40

Fish Supper £5.10

Pound Street

Chip's £1.70

Sausage £1.40

Fish £2.70 Whiting

£3.00 Cod

Sausage Supper £3.10

Fish Supper £4.40 Whiting

£4.70 Cod

Smyth's

Chip's £1.70

Sausage £1.30

Fish £2.70 Whiting

£3.00 Cod

Sausage Supper £3.00

Fish Supper £4.40 Whiting

£4.70 Cod

Robinson's

Chip's £

Sausage £

Fish £

Sausage Supper £3.20

Fish Supper £4.90

Stephanie's - Closes 5.30pm

Chip's £1.60

Sausage £1.40

Fish £2.70 Whiting

Sausage Supper £3.00

Fish Supper £4.30

Katie's plaice

Chip's £1.90 large £1.80 small

Sausage £1.60

Fish £3.20 Cod

Sausage Supper £

Fish Supper £5.00

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:13 pm

This thread has now overtaken the asda thread in view counts, interesting

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm

I was just passing the said chip shop today at about 4.30 and it was closed as it was the same time last sunday, although his opening hours are 3 till 8 sundays :pinocchio:

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:16 pm

did you ever here back again from Thorntons Homer? still at £2.00 for one scoop!

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:15 pm

BASEL wrote:
Homer wrote:Response from Thorntons

Dear ????????

Yours sincerely

Vivienne Staimar

Customer Services

What did you actually send them (email wise)?

Learn to read :lol :smiley_bigthumbup: