Blues and Folk Music

Let's get together and piece together all of ards historical past, perhaps the historical society may get involed, so if you know any, get them on the forum incase it all gets lost in memory

Moderator: mstewart27

Christopher

Blues and Folk Music

Post by Christopher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Many people have recorded the traditional folk song The Enniskillen Dragoons. Folk singer Tommy Makem came up with his own version. Does anyone know whether the Ottilie Patterson who sings the version on YouTube is the Ottilie (born in the Ards area) who married Chris Barber in 1959 and recorded many blues numbers with the Chris Barber band? Has anyone any idea who is accompanying Ottilie Patterson on this video? Wikipedia mentions that Ottilie trained as a classical pianist from the age of eleven. I'm a bit more confused now as Amazon.com mentions a boxed set of Irish favourites which lists Ottilie Patterson's name with Accordion Reels as well as numbers called Captain Fischer and The Magpie. This makes me wonder if Ottilie also played the accordion? Maybe I should drop a line to Lisa Flavelle and ask her if she'd be kind enough to ask her dad, Jackie, if he could provide an answer to this query.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I'll certainly ask, Jim Mc Veith might know the answer, can you put up the youtube in question
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk