Minister quizzed over businessman’s plans

Share your news storys
Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

Minister quizzed over businessman’s plans

Post by Ronski » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Minister quizzed over Peter and Iris Robinson's support for businessman’s plans

Tuesday, 9 February 2010

DUP Environment Minister Edwin Poots has been asked to detail lobbying by Peter or Iris Robinson for prominent developer Adam Armstrong.

A consortium headed by Mr Armstrong bought a Newtownards property from the DUP couple last year. Mrs Robinson was a long-time strong supporter of the massive Castlebawn retail scheme for the town involving one of the developer's companies.

Last year, she said she was writing to her First Minister husband to protest about the length of time this project had been in the planning system.

The new questions to the Environment Minister have been tabled in the Assembly by SDLP MLA John Dallat. They ask Mr Poots to detail any representations received from the Robinsons since 2003 “in relation to planning applications which were submitted by Adam Armstrong and associated companies�.

Mr Armstrong and a group of associates bought a Newtownards office from the Robinsons in April 2009 for £207,500. The developer's address was listed in sale documentation as the tax haven of Gibraltar.

When asked if the office sale had been on the open market, a DUP spokesman last month said it was “an arm's length transaction for full market value�.

The spokesman also defended Mrs Robinson's past lobbying for the developer, saying: “Mrs Robinson and all elected representatives have a duty to represent constituents who seek their assistance.�

The Newtownards office had been bought by the Robinsons two years earlier from builder Ken Campbell.

Last week, Green Party MLA Brian Wilson tabled questions asking the minister if Mr Robinson had ever lobbied for developer Fred Fraser. The late Mr Fraser and Ken Campbell provided £50,000 to Mrs Robinson in 2008, for the café business of her teenage lover. There is no suggestion that either businessman knew of the sexual relationship when supplying the funding.

:1w :1w b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:37 pm

i have got an even better one, i'm in the process of compling
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Talking of further allegations , I’m confused about the Castlebawn business. Was there a conflict of interest over Castlebawn in Iris Robinson's Assembly question and her husband's written answer way back in 2002? Peter Robinson appears to be telling Liam Clarke in the Sunday Times that it was the DUP and not the Robinsons personally who paid Ken Campbell for the Newtownards advice centre premises
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk