The tao

Post your pearls of wisdom or inspiring words from the good book

Moderator: mstewart27

BASEL
Site Administrator

The tao

Post by BASEL » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:50 am

I was reading this the other day and thought i would share it with you all, not to heavy i hope, here goes anyway:

Be Still and do Nothing: Meditation

Meditate upon what water symbolizes and you will become aware of the real nature of the world behind the illusion. This is like a detox of the mind, you remove the noise pollution from the constant thoughts that plague and trouble your mind. Make no mistake, thoughts are poisons that can kill us just as effectively as external pollution and poisons.

Like the Tao, which 'does nothing', the Taoists like to be still and do nothing. The doing nothing mainly applies to thinking, because thinking is doing something.

True meditation is the focus upon awareness, in the absence of thoughts. The trick is to become soft like water, thoughts might come like waves, but you don't pay any attention to them. Just observe your breathing. After a while, with your lack of attention, thoughts will stop pestering you and go away.

You could be still and do nothing while walking, doing Chi Kung or even dancing; so long as you're not thinking, not identifying with the thoughts or the thinker. This is like a moving meditation, which the Taoists consider is more powerful then physically still meditation.

The stillness of mind is the key.

If you metaphorically asked the water in a lake, sea or river what it was doing, it would say that it was "doing nothing", yet all life comes from and is sustained by it. The Tao also does nothing, yet all life comes from and is sustained by it.

Thoughts are like noise. Internal thoughts are like external sounds.

Without silence, how can there be a sound?

Without awareness, how can there be a thought?

Who is aware of a thought?

Thoughts arise from the stillness of awareness, the stillness of Being, the stillness of the Tao.

The Tao is without sound, without substance; it is found in silence, the silence of the mind.

Don't focus on the thoughts (noise), focus instead on the absence of thoughts, focus on the space prior to the birth of the thought that you are occupied with.

Remember that you are not your thoughts, and you are not the thinker. You are the knowing or the awareness in which thoughts arise and then objects manifest or are projected to have a brief illusory existence.

Remember that this awareness is outside or behind the world of form, it alone is outside the impermanent world of Maya.

Focus on the moment before a thought arises.

Focus on the stillness of awareness, the stillness of being, the Tao or oneness which is YOU when you remove the lens of the thinking mind and the five senses

Basel simlie 56
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk