Irish Vote

Share your news storys
BASEL
Site Administrator

Irish Vote

Post by BASEL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:00 am

Irish brothers and sisters VOTE NO on todays EU Treaty :please
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:07 pm

By Sky News SkyNews - 1 hour 6 minutes ago

Irish voters have rejected the proposed EU Lisbon Treaty with the result from only a handful of constituencies still to be reported.

The latest figures show 53.7% of those voting saying 'No' to the reforming legislation with only 46.3% in favour.

Academics had predicted that a 45% turnout was the minimum required to deliver a 'Yes' vote but outside Dublin levels fell far short of that figure.

The 'No' vote will cause a major headache for the European Commission and member states.

The Lisbon charter is designed to streamline decision-making for the enlarged EU's 27 member states.

Ireland has been the only country holding a public vote on Lisbon because it will have to amend its national constitution to accept the Treaty's provisions.

But 18 of the 27 members states have already ratified the accord.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen had warned that a 'No' vote would effectively kill off the scheme for the rest of Europe, where 18 states have already ratified the accord.

The poll was a crucial test for Mr Cowen, who last month replaced Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach and as leader of the main government party Fianna Fail.

:pa :taz :al :band :m1 :m1 :m2 :m2 :mk :woo :woo :lol

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:47 pm

and good for them i say too. HAPPY DAYS :m :F :ra :pa :gd oj yes :sm :bf :thumb :m
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:39 pm

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy led calls on Saturday for the European Union to press on with ratifying its reform treaty, but Ireland's "No" vote revived talk of pro-European capitals forming their own club.

Sarkozy said the rejection of the reform pact in Thursday's referendum should not spark a crisis and confirmed that Prime Minister Gordon Brown had assured him he would defy British eurosceptics and pursue its endorsement.

"Today, 18 European states have ratified. The others must continue to ratify...so that this Irish incident does not become a crisis," Sarkozy told a news conference with U.S. President George W. Bush in Paris.

Others also interpreted Britain's swift pledge on Friday to pursue ratification as a sign it would back a joint effort by France and Germany to salvage the pact, known as the Lisbon treaty, during the French Presidency of the EU later this year.

But Luxembourg Prime Minister and veteran EU deal-maker Jean-Claude Juncker was more downbeat, forecasting the emergence of a two-speed Europe in which a small grouping of EU states would develop joint policy initiatives by themselves.

"Given that it is increasingly hard to get all states moving together, probably the only thing left is a 'Club of the Few'," said Juncker, a contender for the powerful EU president post foreseen by the treaty.

France's Le Monde newspaper called for the launch of an "avant-garde" of nations ready to agree policy by majority voting rather than by unanimity, while Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung predicted a "Europe of varying intensities".

"Time has shown that the majority of EU states follow when a small group seizes the initiative," it wrote.

Any bid to salvage the project would be in sharp contrast to 2005, when "No" votes in founder EU members France and the Netherlands sounded the death knell for the planned EU constitution which the new treaty was drafted to replace.

"This time the scenario is radically different," said Belgium's Le Soir. "The idea is to completely isolate Ireland."

"STUFF THE IRISH"?

Commentators fretted over the damage done to the EU's image abroad by the resounding 53.4 percent vote against a treaty aimed at streamlining decision-making in the enlarged 27-member bloc and strengthening its voice on the world stage.

Many argued the referendum was not against the treaty itself -- an opaque text few profess to have read -- but was hijacked by domestic issues and a popular dissatisfaction throughout the bloc with an EU widely regarded as elitist and bureaucratic.

France's Le Figaro suggested that the Irish be called to vote again on a tweaked text and that Paris, Berlin and should London work together to get EU reform back on track.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who must now present ideas on the way forward to an EU summit next week, said late on Friday he was not "ruling anything in or out or up or down" but officials in Dublin do not relish the prospect of a new vote.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told reporters during a trip to China the onus was now on Ireland to "clear the way" for the bloc's other 26 members to continue developing joint EU policies, without elaborating.

Cypriot Foreign Minister Markos Kyprianou also suggested one option was working out "special arrangements" for Ireland while the other 26 states moved ahead with ratification.

But Greece's To Vima newspaper said the fate of the treaty lay in the hands of countries with strong Eurosceptic currents such as Britain and the Czech Republic, whose president insisted on Friday that ratification moves must be frozen.

Speculation was rife about the way ahead.

Scenarios listed by Britain's Guardian newspaper ranged from the rise of a two-speed Europe and the improbable outcome that Ireland be told to leave the EU -- what it called the "Stuff the Irish" solution.

But it sighed: "What happens now is as clear as peat soil."

(Reporting by London, Nicosia, Paris, Berlin, Athens, Rome, and Madrid bureaus; editing by Robert Hart)

The people voted NO and i thought that was plain enough, now heads in Britain and Europe who can't play with their balls say stuff the IRISH, Charming

Basel

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:00 pm

yeah well if they do then maybe it will be the final straw for most right minded thinking people to say enough is enough and make them chinless wonders hear the people for once! via civil disorder and such! seems to take drastic actions to make them sit up and take notice anyhow! and more power to the people for doing it if they do. after all is there not a few countries in europe fighting wars to bring democracy to countries who probley don't really want it anyhow! kinda make the MOCK in democracy stand out huh??!!

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:32 am

The plot thickens..

No 10 admits EU treaty is finished

Gordon Brown is privately ready to sacrifice the Lisbon treaty rather than allow the Irish no vote to create a two-tier Europe.

Despite the Irish referendum, France, Germany and senior Brussels officials have insisted there should be no delay in implementing the European Union blueprint. But No 10 sources say the prime minister would rather see the entire constitutional treaty collapse than allow individual member states to be left trailing in a two-speed Europe.

Full report: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4138792.ece

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

By Gareth Jones Reuters - 1 hour 7 minutes ago

WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland will not ratify the European Union's reform treaty unless Ireland manages to overcome its own voters' opposition and also approves the charter, Polish President Lech Kaczynski said on Wednesday.
(Advertisement)

Kaczynski, a Eurosceptic, said he could not accept attempts by other EU states to bully Ireland into approving the treaty, rejected by its voters in a June referendum.

"If Ireland ratifies the treaty Poland will do so too," he told Polish public television in an interview.

"Poland will not act as a brake (on the EU) because if Ireland ratifies the treaty Poland will ratify it too. But we have to create a situation in which the Irish people will do this of their own free will, not under duress," Kaczynski said.

Pressed on when he might sign the treaty, Kaczynski said: "When it will no longer be a problem and it will no longer be a problem when we know that all (EU) countries ratify the treaty."

Kaczynski shocked the EU on Tuesday when he said in a newspaper interview that signing the treaty now was "pointless".

The Lisbon Treaty aims to streamline the EU's creaking institutions following the bloc's expansion into central and eastern Europe from 2004.

All 27 EU member states must approve the charter before it can take effect. Only Ireland was required by its constitution to hold a referendum on the treaty.

Poland's parliament ratified the treaty in April but it cannot come into force without the president's signature.

NO PRESSURE

"The Irish may change their minds without any external pressure, without arrogance from other parties. Today we should wait, we should speak with various countries including Ireland," Kaczynski said in his interview.

Kaczynski helped negotiate the treaty with his twin brother Jaroslaw, who served as Polish prime minister until he lost a parliamentary election last autumn to the strongly pro-EU Civic Platform of Donald Tusk.

Prime Minister Tusk urged the president on Tuesday to sign the treaty to avoid isolating Poland inside the EU.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy, whose country assumed the EU's six-month rotating presidency on Tuesday, said he believed Kaczynski would ultimately honour a pledge to ratify the treaty.

Kaczynski said the rights of small countries such as Ireland had to be fully respected within the EU.

"If brutal pressure on our Irish friends is allowed then the rule of unanimity laid out in the Lisbon Treaty, albeit weaker than in the previous treaty, is devoid of value," he said.

"This means big countries would dominate the small ones in all matters. Poland is a relatively big country but we are not so economically strong and so it is not in our interest to allow such a situation."

Kaczynski's distrust of large countries is rooted in Poland's history of domination by more powerful neighbours such as Germany and Russia.

Asked if his stance on the Lisbon Treaty would harm Polish relations with France, Kaczynski said: "Relations between our countries will be good but that does not mean we must have the same view on all subjects."

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:23 pm

http://euobserver.com/9/26979

Today @ 18:58 CET

EUOBSERVER / STRASBOURG - The European Commission plans to help the Irish government communicate "Europe" better to citizens after June's shock No vote on the Lisbon treaty, with a new inter-institutional agreement to pull together the PR efforts of the main EU institutions.

"It's not about the European Commission interfering with the procedures and referenda on the Treaty, but it is investing in trying to correct the situation where so many people said they didn't know anything about the EU, or didn't know enough to take a position when they were asked," communication commissioner Margot Wallstrom said on Wednesday (22 October) in Strasbourg.

Commissioner Margot Wallstrom says the citizen's right to know should be enshrined in the EU Treaty (Photo: EUobserver)

* Print
* Comment article

Ms Wallstrom plans to sign a "memorandum of understanding" on launching a new communication "management project" in Ireland when she visits Dublin on 13 to 14 November.

The one year partnerships - already up and running in Germany, Hungary and Slovenia with eight other EU states about to sign up - see the commission provide EU literature, journalist training, school manuals and other civic education programmes.

One concrete project in Germany was "Guess who is going back to school," in which about 500 German officials paid visits to their former schools, explaining to pupils what their job is within the EU institutions.

The commissioner on Wednesday also signed an inter-institutional agreement between the European Parliament, commission and Council to co-ordinate the three institutions' communication efforts.

She said the move was not designed to create a "propaganda machine" but to support the fundamental democratic principle of the right to know. "It is the first time we have this framework after heavy resistance from member states," the commissioner explained.

The new agreement foresees co-ordinating future communication efforts on common priorities, such as the 2009 European elections, energy and climate change and the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

It is also designed to avoid situations where both the parliament and the commission organise events or print leaflets on the same topic without knowing what the other is doing.

Co-ordination will be provided by the Interinstitutional group on information (IGI) comprised of Ms Walstrom on behalf of the commission, French minister Jean Pierre Jouyet on behalf of the European Council and the vice-president of the European Parliament, Spanish conservative MEP Alejo Vidal-Quadras.

IGI will not have its own budget, but will draw from the coffers of the three institutions.

Irish public was misinformed

Going back to the Irish referendum on the Lisbon treaty, Ms Wallstrom said the public debate included a lot of "emotional arguments" and "disinformation," such as the idea that by voting Yes, people would have to send their children to an "EU army."

"The EU uses too much bureaucratic language, too much of a jargon impenetrable to normal people. There is no need for emotional arguments either, but for a factual language that people can understand," she explained.

Asked what would be the outcome of a pan-European referendum on the Lisbon treaty - as suggested by some Irish campaigners - Ms Wallstrom stressed that it is "the ultimate challenge" from a communication point of view to hold any referendum on a complex legal text.

"Whatever you do, you won't have in the end everybody reading a 400-page document," she said. "That's what MEPs are being paid for

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:00 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXmidPjQaE8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXmidPjQaE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Good to see DEMOCRACY isn't dead then. I'd hate to be a woman who goes out on a date with an EU member hand1 no means no motherf---r

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:19 pm

That why i missed you about here lol to put a fresh perspective on things, good point

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:26 pm

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ouUN2ylqGNI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ouUN2ylqGNI&hl ... 2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t764ACqXK3M&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t764ACqXK3M&hl ... 2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>