NIreland police find large arms cache in Belfast

Share your news storys
BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 am

Northern Ireland police have found a large arms cache thought to be linked to the pro-London Ulster Volunteer Force, which refuses to disarm as part of the province's peace process, they said Friday.

More than 70 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition were discovered when officers searched the home of a man who died over the weekend in north Belfast.

"A substantial amount of guns and ammunition were discovered as part of an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the sudden death of a man in the north of the city at the weekend," the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said in a statement.

It said that all the guns were taken for forensic examination, and added that "a further small number of suspected firearms were also found in lock-up premises in the greater Belfast area."

The PSNI, the police authority in the self-governing province, declined to specify the location where the arms were found, or the name of the man who died.

The Press Association reported that the man is believed to have committed suicide.

To date loyalist groups like the UVF have refused to surrender their weapons as part of the peace process in Northern Ireland, which saw self-rule restored in Belfast last year, nearly a decade after the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

But tensions remain between Protest and Catholic politicians in the Belfast government, which includes leaders who were on opposing sides during the so-called Troubles, or three decades of violence which left some 3,000 dead.
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk