Share your news storys
Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

BT Rolls super-fast Broadband - Belfast

Post by Ronski » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:13 pm

BT rolls out super-fast broadband

Source - Belfast Telegraph

Monday, 23 March 2009

Belfast is among 29 locations across the UK to be given access to super-fast broadband on the BT network next year, it was announced today.

Close to 30,000 customers in the Balmoral exchange area in the south of the city are among the first to benefit from the roll-out of the new fibre-based network.

BT said it would be installing fibre-based broadband in the exchange early next year as part of a £1.5bn project.

Chris Clark, BT chief executive, said: “Super-fast broadband is essential to Northern Ireland's future as a knowledge-based economy so it is excellent to announce Balmoral exchange in this initial set of 29 locations.

“Once again, Northern Ireland is at the forefront of one of the most important projects to take place in recent years and this investment programme offers us the prospect of joining the world super league for broadband speeds.�

The ‘fibre to the cabinet' technology will offer speeds which are more than 10 times those obtainable by most households in the country.

:1w b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w :1w drunck 1 drunck 1
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Comment - Belfast Telegraph

Comment - Not Happy

I live in Tyrone and BT can't provide my neighbours or myself with "conventional" broadband because we are too far away from the BT exchange, this despite the fact BT were given a large grant to provide 100% broadband access across Northern Ireland in 2004, a promise they are failing to deliver on some 5 years later. Obviously it's not cost-effective for them to provide us with broadband, but they did take the grant and they do like to quote 100% broadband access when it suits them,
Posted by Brian | 23.03.09, 16:29 GMT

:1w face1 face1 face1 face1 :1w :1w b1 face1 :1w :1w
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am

I heard a quote of downloads speeds on 40mbits down and 10mbits up, if that was the case i think we all would be laughing, but meanwise i'm content with my 24mbits down and 1.8mbits up
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Does that mean better streaming for watching your naughty film's Basel :lol

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:18 am

I did not respect that

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:12 pm

but yes lol

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 pm

BT blow, change to a better priced, better all round provider.
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Further funding available for rural broadband
Belfast Telegraph
Thursday, 2 April 2009

Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster has reinforced her commitment to improving broadband services in rural areas across Northern Ireland.

The minister expressed her support as she announced that a third call for broadband project applications will open next Monday, under the competitive £1.9m Northern Ireland Broadband Fund. The third call will focus on counties Fermanagh, Armagh and Down.

It offers practical, financial support of up to 50% of overall project costs to organisations undertaking broadband technology trials here.

Ms Foster said: “Exploitation of Northern Ireland’s world-class telecommunications infrastructure is a key priority for my department, with the contribution of broadband to economic growth now recognised globally.

“We are already supporting two successful applications under a previous Broadband Fund call.

“The first is establishing an extensive fixed wireless network across the rural west and the other is proceeding as a technology trial in Ballintoy and Ballinamallard.

“Our key objective is to encourage the emergence of affordable, high speed broadband services in rural areas, providing conditions for the growth of local enterprises and supporting commercial, educational and social requirements.

“With funding of up to 50% of project costs available to successful applicants, the fund is a key mechanism for ensuring that Northern Ireland businesses continue to exploit their knowledge of broadband technologies.�

The fund supports trials demonstrating technologies that can be used to deliver higher speed, next generation broadband services and projects which offer solutions for provision of commercial services in priority rural areas in Northern Ireland.

The fund, which is co-financed under the ERDF Sustainable Competitiveness Programme 2007-2013, aims to increase the options for delivery of broadband services in rural areas.

The Broadband Fund was launched last August.

:1w :1w b1 b1 b1 b1 drunck 1 drunck 1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w