UK passports for foreigners up 58%

Share your news storys
Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

Post by Ronski » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Thursday, 25 February 2010

The number of foreigners given UK passports shot up by more than half last year, new figures reveal.

A total of 203,865 people were granted British citizenship in 2009 - an increase of 58% on 2008.

Tens of thousands more immigrants were also given the right to settle in the UK - the total was up 30% to more than 190,000.

Of those, grants of settlement linked to jobs rose from 37,000 in 2007 to more than 60,000 in 2008 and 81,000 last year - despite the recession.

Quarterly immigration figures, published by the Office for National Statistics, also showed a 30% increase in student visa numbers last year compared to 2008.

In the final three months of 2009, 61,715 student visas were issued - an astonishing rise of 92% on the same period in 2008.

The figures prompted questions over the effectiveness of the new points-based system for student visas.

They also revealed a shift in arrivals from Eastern European countries. The number of Poles registering to work fell by a quarter at the end of last year, but arrivals from Latvia and Lithuania more than doubled.

Critics said the rises showed immigration was "running out of control" and questioned whether so many work visas should have been issued during the recession.

But ministers pointed to falls in asylum applications, which hit their lowest level since the early 1990s.

:1w :1w face1 face1 face1 bang1 bang1 bang1 bang1 bang1 bang1 bang1 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron bron b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w :m
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm

A nice big log cabin in turkey will do me nicely :ft :lol :ra :smiley_bigthumbup:
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

Post by Ronski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Yeh as long as it has Broadband connection Basel lol :1w :thumb :st :zl :zl :zl :zl :1w cg :lol
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey i forgot about that
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk