What's happening with Castlebawn

Tell everyone whats going on around the area, Church, Gigs, showbands, Queens Hall etc,

Moderator: Ronski

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Proposals have been floated for an extensive multi-use development in Newtownards, adjacent to the much vaunted Castlebawn project, between Portaferry and Comber Roads.

Marm Developments has applied for multi-use planning for a development on the former Crepe Weavers factory site at Comber Road.

The proposal, which is available for public review, comprises industrial units, a 70 bed nursing home, a 100 bed hotel, a petrol station, several hot food outlets, cafes, neighbourhood centre to include, creche, a retail unit, a health centre, a bank and 96 residential apartments.

The news was welcomed by Castlebawn developer Fearghal Eastwood, who said: "Good luck, and I wish them all the best".

Mr Eastwood said he expected his own development could 'potentially be years in construction', stating 'it is really reliant on economic recovery'.

He continued: "Castlebawn development is market driven and at the minute the market is very tricky, but I am happy enough with the pace of Castlebawn. Tesco is starting to prepare the site."

The £250 million Castlebawn development has, to date, only secured backing from giant retailer Tesco, who intend to build a multi-million pound superstore.

The developer blamed protracted planning issues: "The speed at which they [Planning Service] deliver planning approval needs a complete overhaul. The planning approval is simply too slow.

We havent gone hell for leather at the marketing of Castlebawn, whilst the planning is uncertain, but we know Tescos is a big draw and we intend to start marketing soon."

A Tesco spokesperson confirmed building work on the new store is due to begin in a few weeks, with the store expected to open early next year.

The new supermarket will create around 200 new permanent full and part-time positions.

The store will replace and almost double the size of the existing store in Ards Shopping Centre and will be located on the former Ards Borough Council-owned abattoir site, adjacent to Portaferry Road.

The full Castlebawn development is to involve three strands, starting with the Tesco superstore.

This will be followed by the construction of the 300,000sq ft Castlebawn Shopping Centre.

The third and final stage of the development, the 167,000sq ft Castlebawn retail park, will include larger bulky goods retail outlets.

Last year the £8 million Messines link road between Portaferry Road and Comber Road was completed, in conjunction with Castlebawn and Roods Service.

A Planning Service spokesperson confirmed the Castlebawn shopping centre has been referred to the Planning Appeals Commission (PAC), along with another retail application.

"A date for the public inquiry has not yet been set; this is a matter for the PAC.

"Planning Service is currently dealing with three other retail proposals in Newtownards."
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk